Recovering from vacations…

Have you ever felt like you need a vacation to get over your vacation? I’ve been feeling that way since I got back to work on Monday. Even though I’ve been going to sleep at a reasonable hour, I’ve been having to drag myself out of bed every morning. And it’s not because I’m dreading going to work. I love my job, I love my boss, and let’s face it – work is air-conditioned!

This has been my first ever “eventful” vacation, and we didn’t even do all that much. I drove down to Chicago on the evening of Friday, June 22nd. Met Rob half-way at the Port Huron train station, and he drove the second half of the run. I’m getting way too old for that – my legs started cramping up the second I got into the passenger seat. Saturday was spent hanging out with his family, and we had the added pleasure of a visit from his uncle Marty and aunt Barbara who live in Florida! It was so great to be able to see them! We didn’t do much until the following weekend, other than a few dinners out and seeing Deadpool 2, because Rob was still working. We did visit the Holocaust Museum in Skokie, IL… but I’m still processing all I saw and felt there. That will be for another post (no photos were taken, other than of the memorial fountain outside, which you’ll see in the mosaic below).

Saturday, June 30, we took off bright and early for Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. We visited the Canadian Bush Plane Centre, and had a lot of fun there! The next morning, we made our way bright and early to “The Station” and boarded the Agawa Canyon Train. What an experience! This four-hour train ride takes you to Agawa Canyon Park, which is only accessible by train. In the park, there are several hiking trails in all directions, which you can explore for an hour or two while the train gets ready for its trip back to the Soo. It was so beautiful out there, but REALLY STINKING HOT. Happy Canada Day to us 🙂 We got back to the hotel just before dark, and were lucky enough to catch the city’s fireworks display – which was being set off RIGHT next to our hotel. We had front-row seats!

The next day, we drove back to Ottawa along highway 17. We stopped in Sudbury to see the Big Nickel and to have lunch. I despaired a little at how much North Bay has changed since I lived there briefly in 1995. Once we were back in the city, we hung out, spent some time with my parents, saw Deadpool 2 again (with my daughter, who was DYING to see it), rented a paddle boat on Dow’s Lake, and took a day-trip to Burlington, Vermont to do a bit of shopping and hang out with friends. All in all, I’m exhausted! (Add to all that the fact that we were in a major heat wave for the entirety of the two weeks, and my apartment only has one air-conditioning unit, which cools the diningroom/kitchen area. Sleeping was most uncomfortable once we got back to Ottawa!)

In the five days since Rob flew home, I’ve been getting an insane amount of knitting done – you’ll see that in the next podcast episode – and enjoying my time back at work. I’m starting to make some plans to hit the Twist Fibre Festival in St. André Avellin, QC in a month. This is the first time in seven years that I’ll be missing Stitches Midwest in Chicago! I feel awful about it, but I just don’t have the funds to make two trips to Chicago that close together. I’ve got my eye on Rhinebeck, and I can’t wait until October!! Several of us will be staying in the same group of cabins I usually stay in, and we’re going to have so much fun!

Stay tuned for another blog later this week on what I’ve been doing to improve my overall health, but more importantly, to finally get my blood sugar under control after four years as a type II diabetic. Keep your sticks pointy!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s